Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Pretty Little Dress for a Pretty Little Girl

When I first brought Maylynn home and began to take on the role of mother I often found myself feeling alone, trapped, and isolated. I spent a lot of time nursing and browsing facebook one handed, posting status updates constantly because it made me feel connected to the outside world. With all that time on the internet I began to discover blogs - so many blogs written by wonderful moms who I felt I could relate to. I started to feel less alone. :)

While I am mostly a lurker I do feel very connected to the ladies whose blogs I read religiously. That might be a little creepy, but I really appreciate anyone who can be a mom, create, and find time to blog about it beautifully. One of these women is Jess from Craftiness is Not Optional. I love her style and her ideas. Recently she did a sew-along for the Charlotte dress (named after her adorable baby girl). I participated and here are the results:


Maylynn loves to look out the window to the world outside.

Maylynn does not love modeling her new dress so I can show it off.
She is totally annoyed. This is right before she was really done and just started crying.

I am a newbie to sewing. I learned the basics in eighth grade home economics and dabbled in it from time to time since then. However, since having Maylynn (19 months ago) and seeing all the cute ideas out there I dusted off my Singer and started creating.

This dress was not too difficult for a beginner like myself. I learned how to make sleeves, gather, and sew an invisible zipper. It feels so good to complete a project like this from start to finish. If you're interested in making the dress as well, you can find the sew along here: Charlotte Dress Sew-Along

Don't be intimidated. If you want to try it, just go for it. What have you got to lose (beside a couple yards of fabric)?

3 comments:

Leah Beth said...

Love the dress and the cute model! Hope we get to have breakfast together again soon!

Packed Table said...

That is so adorable Robin!

Unknown said...

It turned out so CUTE! I think you AND Maylynn will cherish that dress for a long time!!